So what is WordPress, exactly?” – you might be wondering.
The simplest answer is this:
WordPress is your website’s operating system. ⚙️
Think of it this way, just like your smartphone needs either iOS or Android to work, your “smart-website” needs WordPress.
While WordPress is certainly not the only website operating system around, it is the unquestionable leader in this space. At the time of writing, WordPress runs 32% of all websites. Again, that is *all* websites.
Just to show you how big the gap is between WordPress and everyone else; the second most popular website platform, Joomla, is used by less than 3% of websites.
What makes WordPress dominate this much & what is it used for?
There are at least a handful of reasons:
- 💸 WordPress is free. You can download it right now with no money involved at all.
- 👋 WordPress is open source. It’s a community project built by thousands of volunteers around the globe. Everyone can participate. Everyone can build upon WordPress and help the platform grow even more.
- 🤩 WordPress is modern. If some feature is considered “a standard” in website software, you can be sure that WordPress has it.
- 🏗️ WordPress is versatile. It can run any type of website. No matter if it’s a simple business site, a blog, a photo site, a hobby site, a professional corporate site, a portfolio site, a wedding site, a fitness site, a directory site, even an e-commerce store, WordPress can easily handle it all.
- 👐 WordPress is accessible and user-friendly. It can be used by users with impaired vision with no problem.
- 📱 WordPress works on all screen sizes and devices. You can access your website via a desktop, laptop, tablet, phone.
- 🔌 WordPress is extensible. You can add custom features to WordPress with the help of plugins. Think of plugins as your website’s “apps” (like your iPhone apps, but for your website).
- 🎨 WordPress is beautiful. There are thousands upon thousands of free and premium design packages (called themes) available for WordPress. You can install those in a single click.
What is WordPress? In a nutshell, WordPress works as the engine under your website’s hood. It allows it to run, lets you edit the content of the site, create new posts and pages, and then makes sure that your website displays correctly on all devices.