Building an awesome website can be complicated, even if you’re an experienced developer. Some platforms make the process simpler – such as WordPress – but they still require you to put in a lot of work. That’s where WordPress page builders come in.
Page builders are tools that enable you to put together websites in record time, by providing you with pre-built elements you can arrange in any way you want. You can insert them into your pages, move them around, and see the effects immediately.
In this article, we’re going to talk about what page builders do and why you might want to use one. Then we’ll introduce you to five of our favorite options, and compare them to help you pick the right one. Let’s get started!
What WordPress page builders are (and why you might need one)
Page builder is a broad term, encompassing many tools that enable you to build a website from scratch. In most cases, they do this by providing you with drag-and-drop functionality and pre-built components that can be customized. For example, you might be able to click on a button access a contact form, place it wherever you want on your page, and personalize its appearance and functionality.
WordPress page builders make it easier for users of all skill levels to create awesome websites, by:
- Making it possible to build custom pages without a background in web development.
- Letting you customize complex elements and features with a few clicks.
- Including drag-and-drop functionality, so you can arrange all the elements on your pages as you see fit.
- Enabling you to preview how your site will look when it goes live.
The key to choosing a good page builder is to focus on two key criteria: a broad selection of elements to add to your site, and ease of use. Let’s talk about some options that fit both bills.
Which best drag-and-drop WordPress page builders we’ll be talking today?
We will talk about each drag and drop WordPress website builder individually. However, here’s a quick list of our top favorite WordPress website builders:
- Elementor (www.Elementor.com)
- Beaver Builder (www.WPBeaverBuilder.com)
- Divi Builder (www.ElegantThemes.com)
- WP Bakery Page Builder (www.WPBakery.com)
- Brizy Builder (www.brizy.io)
Five outstanding drag-and-drop WordPress page builders compared (detailed)
Before we move forward, it’s worth mentioning that not all page builders include drag-and-drop functionality. However, we feel this feature is a key component of what makes these tools so easy to use, so we decided to focus only on page builders with drag-and-drop options.
Elementor is a modern page builder with a broad range of features. It enables you to customize nearly every aspect of your site quickly, and create pixel-perfect pages with just a little practice.
- Provides you with a library of ready-to-go page templates
- Adapts well to mobile devices
- Supports customization using CSS
- Is compatible with translation plugins such as WPML and Polylang
- Lets you create pages using a front-end visual editor
Elementor is available for free, but you can also opt for its premium alternative (from $49) with additional features.
Beaver Builder is one of the most popular WordPress page builders around, thanks largely to its ease of use. With this plugin, you can see how every element of your website will look while you’re editing it.
- Includes a collection of pre-built layouts
- Is optimized for mobile devices
- Supports the use of custom CSS classes and IDs
- Provides compatibility with other WordPress widgets and shortcodes
- Includes a visual front-end editor
3. Divi Builder
The Divi Builder is one of the most polished site builder plugins available. It supports both front- and back-end editing for any page, offers a wide variety of drag-and-drop elements, and has a diverse selection of highly customizable layouts.
- Offers a flexible layout system
- Provides access to a broad range of layouts
- Includes fully customizable elements that support custom CSS
- Supports both back- and front-end editing for any page
- Was created with responsiveness in mind
The Divi Builder is a premium plugin available to Elegant Themes subscribers (from $89 / year).
WP Bakery Page Builder is possibly the most well-known WordPress page builder in the market, since many premium themes ship with it included. Its support for all types of themes and sites is excellent, and its front-end editing features make it very easy to use.
- Includes an extensive collection of pre-made layouts
- Supports CSS customizations for all of its elements
- Is fully compatible with translation plugins such as WPML
- Lets you edit any page using a front-end visual editor
WP Bakery Page Builder is a premium plugin ($49), but it also ships for free with plenty of templates.
The last on our list is something much more than a bare-bones drag and drop builder. This react-based tool provides powerful features to build a fully functional WordPress website. You can use the integrated forms, sliders, and tabs to create an intuitive front-end for free.
- Offers a real-time website building experience
- Hundreds of beautiful pre-designed pages, blocks and popups
- Supports custom field integrations for WordPress
Brizy is available for free, but you can unlock more features in the premium version:
- Personal – $49 per year for 3 sites
- Studio – $99 per year for unlimited sites
- Lifetime – $299 one-time fee
Building a website isn’t the kind of task you can knock out in a few hours. However, WordPress page builders can definitely help you speed up the process. In most cases, they’ll enable you to add complex elements to your site easily and arrange them in any way you’d like.
If you want to test one of these tools for yourself, here are our top five suggestions:
- Elementor: This modern page builder is a good choice for both newbies and experienced WordPress users.
- Beaver Builder: It’s hard to find a front-end builder that’s easier to use.
- Divi Builder: For Elegant Themes members, this is a powerful site builder with a wide range of features.
- WP Bakery Page Builder: This highly-popular page builder is compatible with a lot of themes, and is very user-friendly.
- Brizy Builder: Choose this WordPress/cloud based website builder if you want to create an intuitive site for free.
If you want to look through the other popular options available out there, check out this roundup. (Also includes MotoPress Content Editor, SiteOrigin Page Builder, Live Composer.)
Do you have any questions about how to choose the best WordPress page builder? Ask away in the comments section below!